CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, March 17, 2013

Let's talk stock!


So let's talk chicken stock.....for years I used canned chicken broth, and I never realized just what I was missing.  And making your own stock is so very easy!

The difference between broth and stock is the use of bones and seasoning.  True stock is made by simmering bones, meat, and vegetables but no salt.  It really isn't meant to be very tasty.  It's more like a blank slate for adding your own flavorings depending on the recipe.  Broth is made by simmering meat and veggies (no bones) but the addition of salt and seasoning.  What I make is a combination of the two.  I use the carcass of a chicken with the leftover meat and some veggies, but I also add some salt as well as garlic and onions.

The steps are simple.  I use a whole chicken (make sure you save the lovely stuff from the inside of the bird), and cook it in the crockpot for about 8 hours.  You can cook it however you want.  The crockpot is just my friend :)  When the chicken is done, remove as much of the meat as possible.  Use the meat for whatever recipe you like or package it up for the freezer for later use.

Once the meat is taken care of, it's time to make the stock.  Put the carcass with any leftover meat and all those fun innards that you saved into your crockpot or large stockpot.  Then add carrots, onions, celery. garlic, or any fresh herbs you want to use.  I always save the green tops and peels of carrots, the tops of celery, and onion skins and leftovers in a baggie in the freezer to use in the stock when I'm ready.  I don't usually have to add much but a head of garlic.  Fill the pot with water and then add some kosher or sea salt to taste (you can always add more later if you want, so don't go crazy at first).  Also add a few tablespoons of vinegar, as it helps get the gelatin out of the bones and makes the stock richer and healthier.

Then you start simmering.  If I use a crockpot, I cook on low for 12 hours (overnight), and if I am using a stockpot I bring it to a boil, and then lower the heat to medium-low and simmer for about 4-5 hours.

When it's finished cooking, I run it through a colander, which will strain out almost everything.  It's good to go now, but if you want clearer stock (which I usually do), you can run it through a fine sieve or some cheese cloth.

At that point, it can go in the freezer or it can be canned.  To can it safely, you must use a pressure canner and process for 20 minutes (pint) or 25 minute (quart) at 10# pressure.  If you freeze it, just make sure to freeze in usable portions.  Some people freeze stock in ice cube trays so they can use as little or as much as they want.  FYI...ice cubes are about 1 ounce each, so it would be 8 cubes for approximately 1 cup.

And there you have it!  One of my favorite recipes that uses both the chicken and the stock is Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup.  Just watch the pepper....once, my sister-in-law and niece came to visit and I made this for them.  As I was adding the black pepper, the lid came off and a bunch of pepper fell in the soup.  I thought I had acted quickly and gotten most of it out, but alas....the soup was really inedible.  My sweet SIL was kind and ate most of hers anyway, but it was really, really peppery hot and just wasn't good.  Keep control of your pepper, and you'll have some great soup!

Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup

Ingredients
1 tablespoon butter
1 onion, chopped
3 cups chicken, cooked and chopped
6 cups chicken broth or stock
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of mushroom soup
8 oz fettuccine noodles, broken
1 stalk celery, chopped
6 carrots, diced
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1 teaspoon pepper (not one bottle)
1 teaspoon lemon peel, grated
2 cups milk

Directions
Saute onions in melted butter over medium heat until tender.  Stir in chicken, broth/stock, soups, celery, carrots, seasoning, and noodles.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for about 10 minutes.  Stir in milk and return to a simmer.  Remove from heat, and let stand for 10 minutes.  Sprinkle with cheese if desired and  enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment