CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, March 23, 2013

Bountiful Baskets 3/23/2013


It's that time again!  Bountiful Baskets was good to us this week.  Lots of great goodies!  I got a conventional basket, an organic basket, and 40 lbs of Fuji apples that I'm splitting with a friend.  It's going to be applesauce time around here this week :)



Here's the conventional basket ($15).  It contains the following:

1 pineapple
1 big bunch of broccoli (plus another smaller bunch that came from volunteering)
6 bananas
3 grapefruit
7 tangelos
2 English cucumbers (one of these was for volunteering as well)
5 large baking potatoes
1 head of cauliflower
2 containers of living butter lettuce
4 yellow onions
1 pound of super thin asparagus (yum!)



Here's the organic basket this week ($25).  It contains the following:

5 bananas
1 bunch of carrots
1 bunch of radishes
8 small sweet potatoes
1 bunch of red globe grapes
1 bunch of asparagus
1 bunch of dill
1 package of blueberries
1 big package of baby spinach
1 big package of spring mix greens
1 5 lb bag of fuji apples



I also got a 40 lb box of Fuji apples for $24 that I'm splitting with a friend.  Fuji apples make great apple sauce, and so that will be one of this week's projects.

I didn't price check everything this week.  I know for sure that I got far more than what I could get at the grocery store with the conventional basket and the apples.  I'm fairly confident that the organic basket is a good value as well.  But really, in the end, I'm glad that my family is eating more vegetables, and I am getting to try some different recipes.  That makes it even more worth it!

2 comments:

Debbie Jones said...

You always get more in your conventional basket than we do. I only got one cucumber (that's OK with me, though), one butter lettuce, and one onion, but the other quantities were the same. It seems that your baskets are always a little fuller.

Mandy said...

Is your site a full site (meaning do they have the max number of contributors)? Everything comes in big bulk boxes and is divided equally. Then the volunteers choose 1 big item or two smaller items from the overage. Then, anything left is divided among the rest of the baskets. Some baskets may get an extra lettuce (like we did today) and some may get 2 extra bananas or just whatever was left. I think when you have a maxed out site, there are more overages or maybe just more money to work with overall? Not exactly sure. Our extra cucumber was for volunteering as was part of bunch of broccoli.

Post a Comment